Thursday, July 7, 2011

Stamp Club #5 - Bleaching


When Kirsty Brown demonstrated this technique at Convention in May I was so inspired and couldn't wait to give it a go. She called her presentation 'Bleaching and Butterflies', her two favourites apparently. Well I love butterflies too so she had my attention straight away. After stamping for nearly 15 years it sometimes takes a bit to get a 'WOW' out of me these days but this was so simple yet sooooooooo impressively effective. I made a special effort to make sure I taught my Stamp Club ladies on my last club meeting before I take a break to have my baby. I treated them plus made them work a little harder than normal and we did THREE fairly time consuming cards mainly cos I wont see them for a few months. The first card was the one Kirsty showed first as part of her presentation. I loved this instantly as anyone who knows me knows I LOVE PINK!!!! And.....I love the Elements of Style stamp set which is perfect for this technique The butterfly card she made was my absolute favourite. The ladies didnt make this one but I demonstrated it for them. Kirsty has a great little tutorial on her blog you can check out to make this too. I CASED a couple of other examples for them to make. The sail boat one was here. They always want masculine card ideas. We did this one as a Father's Day card as I wont see them until after Father's Day now and the beautiful Manhattan flower card was one of Frenchies here. Frenchie also has a great video tutorial for her card. Some tips if you decide to try this technique, I used White King regular bleach in my aqua painter (label your aqua painter as bleach and dont use it for anything else). I tried the lemon scented one but it didnt work as well. Also, if you are not going to use your aqua painter for a while empty it out and use fresh bleach each time you use it to maximise the effect. Always try on scrap paper first, each colour of cardstock bleaches differently so try several colours to see which bleaches the most vibrant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Felicity love the bleached cards. Will have to give it a go. Your explanations and links to various blogs was inciteful. My Fave would be the pink card....surprising as I'm so not a "pink" girl! LOL Good luck with the baby. Cheers Donna Zammit
PS thanks for the mini catty you dropped off, the wish list just gets longer!!!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

This was one of those classes where I had a complete panic! I had tried it out for my samples ... but when we came to do it in class it just wasn't working!!! Yikes! I think the secret is FRESH bleach ... for sure! We did manage to rescue it ... but I don't think I was a star that night!!! Hugs xxaxx